Heavy Metal Detox Foods
- Because this herb is so popular in certain culinary dishes, it remains one of our top heavy metal detox foods. Cilantro is a bright green plant also known by its latin name CORIANDRUM SATIVUM is a heavy metal elimination powerhouse. Studies published by the U.S National Library of Medicine found that the organic compounds within cilantro have beneficial chelation properties that make it effective for eliminating multiple heavy metals including lead and mercury.
- Malic acid is a substance derived from dried apples. Malic acid has been found to be a potent and safe chelating of heavy metals, especially aluminium. Aluminum, although not “heavy” as metals/metaloids go, is nonetheless toxic because it has been shown to cross the blood brain barrier. Multiple scientific studies show that people with neurological dysfunction including Alzheimer’s disease and dementia as well as people diagnosed with other neurological degenerative diseases such as multiple sclerosis often have high levels of aluminum, making a strong case for aluminum causing/contributing to neurological problems.
- Hawaiian Spirulina is a green powder is derived from the sea. Not only is it packed with trace minerals including iodine, a powerhouse nutrient for the thyroid, it is also great at helping the body eliminate certain heavy metals including mercury and copper.
Barley grass juice powder:
- This mighty plant packs a super-food punch. Barley grass is helpful for all sorts of ailments including prevention of diabetes, regulating blood pressure, enhancing immunity, protection for the liver, helpful in degrading organophosphate pesticides, anti-cancer, anti-inflammation and especially helping the body detoxify from heavy metals and harmful chemicals. PubMed has this to say about Barley Grass: “Barley grass contains 30 times thiamine (C12H16N4OS) and 11 times Ca than that of cow’s milk, 6.5 times carotene and 5 times Fe content of spinach, 7 times vitamin C (C6H8O6) in oranges, 4 times thiamine in whole wheat flour [12, 26], 2 times protein in barley grains , its total flavinoids and alkaloids are 2.1 times, 10.7 times, and GABA 37.8 times of brown rice .” For these reasons, a barley grass juice heavy metal detox is worth consideration by your healthcare team. If you want a refreshing way to improve your health, be sure to try the barley grass juice heavy metal detox.
- Wild Blueberries are little blue bundles of joy that have been shown to cross the blood brain barrier, but this time in a positive way! The antioxidants found in most dark berries and especially wild blueberries are especially good at supporting healthy brain tissue as well as a healthy urinary tract. This makes wild blueberries especially helpful at supporting the elimination and repair damage from specific heavy metals, especially aluminum and cadmium which especially hide in both brain tissue and the kidneys and urinary tract.
As part of our ongoing Thyroid Healing Series, today we examine a few common heavy metal detox foods to incorporate into one’s diet. Thyroid health and proper endocrine function in general are not possible without first giving the body a stable foundation including a healthy gut microbiome, a healthy liver and proper nutrition. Without first bolstering these foundational health issues, we here at Terrain Wellness are hesitant to prescribe advanced procedures such as IV chelation therapy. To that end, today we’re focusing on a few foods that help the liver with its detoxification processes.
Addressing gut health and improving liver function through improving food/lifestyle are necessary prerequisites to more complicated treatments. Having a healthy gut microbiome as well as a liver that is able to detoxify properly are both key factors to eliminating heavy metals from the body. For this reason, we must establish healthy foundations and clean out the gut before considering IV therapy in Portland, Oregon as an option for treatment.
But, don’t just take our word for it. Studies published on the U.S National Institute of Health show a strong link between gut microbiome and liver function working together with natural compounds to eliminate toxic heavy metals from the body:
Heavy metals detox requires a healthy gut microbiome state, the induced-activation of endogenous hepatic I-II-enzyme, which can be activated by phytonaturals in these formulations, and the chelation and excretion of these heavy metals.
Instructions for this portion of the cleanse:
- Drink this smoothie once a day or once every other day during the heavy metal detox month.
- Continue to avoid dairy, eggs, canola oil, gluten, corn, soy and pork.
- Continue to drink 8-16 ounces of fresh celery juice on an empty stomach daily.
- Add in 16 ounces of lime or lemon water in the afternoon or evening.
- Add in 8-16 ounces of ginger water in the late afternoon (alternate with lemon water).
- In the evening eat 16 ounces of aloe water or cucumber water.
- Continue to avoid sources of heavy metals especially tuna, swordfish and bass.
- Incorporate as many heavy metal detox foods as you can.
Modified Small Batch Version of Heavy Metal Detox Smoothie:
- 1 banana
- 1 teaspoon Hawaian spirulina powder
- 1 half navel orange with the rind
- 1 teaspoon barley greens juice powder
- ½ cup blueberries
- 1 cup water
- ½ cup cilantro
- 1 teaspoon Atlantic sea dulse
Blend all ingredients together. Add extra water as needed to get the consistency you need. Make the night before and store in a mason jar for a quick grab-n-go in the morning.