Primary Care Doctors Portland, Oregon
What is Preferred Membership at Terrain Wellness?
More Care + Savings
- As-needed primary care doctor’s visits
- As-needed naturopathic/homeopathic/Chinese-medicine visits
- As-needed acupuncture
- As-needed acute-care (non-emergency illness/injury)
- As-needed nutrition consults
note: IV is not included, but Preferred Members get 10% off IV visits.
Terrain Wellness is proud to announce our new monthly membership model. Preferred membership at our Portland, Oregon integrative healthcare facility gives members exclusive access to primary care medicine, premium naturopathic care, as many visits as needed, all at one low monthly or yearly rate. Our patients spoke and we listened: our preferred Portland, Oregon healthcare membership model also has family-plans available so we can offer your loved-ones the caring support you have come to rely on. This program is designed to provide more care for less money.
Primary Care Doctors Visits, Naturopathic & Acupuncture
Want to come in but you’re already feeling great? Just call up and schedule a wellness visit, primary care doctor’s visit or acupuncture session. We want you to come in early and often, before health problems are serious. More than that, we want to see each of our members often so you stay feeling great.
Naturopathic Healthcare Membership: Scope of Practice
While our preferred healthcare membership does cover primary care doctor’s visits at our Portland clinic, membership is not intended to be a replacement for health insurance. Many patients use their HSA (Health Savings Account) to cover their membership dues and keep health insurance for emergencies. Our scope of practice only includes services available at our medical office and does include advanced procedures like x-rays/imaging, lab tests, oncology (cancer treatment), emergency medical care or any surgery. We also do not include IV therapy or injection therapy in the healthcare membership price, although we do offer those at our integrative/functional-medicine clinic. That said, we can and will provide doctor’s visits, adjunct/support care and wellness visits in cooperation with your healthcare team during events/illnesses that are outside the scope of our medical practice in Portland, Oregon.
Welcome to membership.
- 30 Minute Express Acupuncture Treatment: $79.00
- Visits include 2 units of acupuncture administered by a Naturopathic Physician also licensed in Acupuncture and Chinese Medicine. Our Express 30 Minute acupuncture treatment is a great introduction to Chinese Medicine and is useful for treating muscle pain/tension, joint discomfort, anxiety and many other health concerns.
- 30 Minute Express Doctor’s Visit: $109.00
- 30 minute primary care doctor’s visit with an Oregon Licensed Primary Care Physician (ND, LAc). This service is appropriate for non-emergency Cold, Flu, Sore Throat, Upper Respiratory Infection and other acute sickness or non-emergency injuries. While our naturopathic physicians can write prescriptions, we write prescriptions sparingly and prefer natural herbs and supplements with fewer side effects that work to support the body and immune system. We also have a wide range of natural supplements available in-house for Cold, Flu, URI and many other acute care needs.
- Full 1 hour Naturopathic Doctor’s visit for established patient: $250.00
- 1 hour primary care doctor’s visit includes an in-depth consult with the physician and treatments as needed including acupuncture, Physical-Medicine*, Applied Kinesiology Muscle-Testing, emotional clearing and consulting on medications/prescriptions, herbal supplements, homeopathics and food/lifestyle.
- New Patient Naturopathic & Acupuncture Visit. Price: $250.00
- This extended-time primary care doctor’s visit includes an in-depth one-on-one consult covering a full review of past prescription medications, labs, x-rays/MRIs, full health history and a full Physical Evaluation. Acupuncture/Physical-Medicine** are included as appropriate but may be omitted in cases where patients wish to use that time to speak with the physician in greater detail.
- We are an Out-of-Network healthcare provider for all insurance companies
- Patient is responsible for full payment at the time of service. As a courtesy to patients, we do provide an itemized receipt known as a super-bill that is coded so that the patient may submit this for possible reimbursement from their insurance company. Some insurance policies/companies will reimburse patients for naturopathic/functional-medicine care and/or acupuncture while others will not. Many of our patients benefit by using their HSA Health Savings Account to pay for our healthcare services.
- *Physical Medicine
- Patients describe “Physical-Medicine” as somewhat like a chiropractic adjustment, but less intense. Physical-Medicine is also referred to as “Naturopathic Manipulation” and is used to ease muscle pain/tension and improve joint and spine mobility.
Naturopathic & Acupuncture Services
FYI: Non-member rates will increase January 15th, 2020.
Primary Care Doctors in Portland, Oregon:
5440 SW Westgate Dr. #320 Portland, OR 97221
- Question: Can Naturopathic Doctors Prescribe Medications?
- Answer: Yes. In Oregon, Naturopathic Doctors can and do prescribe medications and are issued an NPI number as primary care physicians. That said, the philosophy of Naturopathic Doctors is to avoid prescribing drugs when possible in favor of safer, natural treatments.
- Question: What’s the difference between a Naturopath & a Naturopathic Doctor?
- Answer: By definition, a Naturopathic Doctor (ND) has passed a state-approved medical board exam and graduated from an accredited medical program and has full prescriptive rights. In Oregon, Naturopathic Doctors are physicians who can prescribe medications, order labs, administer an IV, order x-rays and other diagnostic scans. The term Naturopath is more recognized by the general public so many times Naturopathic Doctors will answer to, or refer to themselves as such. Some states have made laws that give specific definitions for Naturopathic Doctors and made separate category for non-physician naturopathic practitioners. In some states with a category for non-physician naturopathic practitioners, the public may refer to these practitioners as naturopaths, which may be the source of confusion. However, in Oregon, an ND is a physician who can write prescriptions for medications etc.
Oregon Naturopathic Doctors FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions)*
*DISCLAIMER: Answers to these questions apply to the state of Oregon. Laws/policies in other states may vary. While every attempt at presenting accurate data is made as of the date this page was published. This page is not legal advice. Consult with a doctor, attorney or authorized governing body before making legal/medical decisions.
Naturopathic Doctors in Portland, Oregon
Our status as licensed Primary Care Physicians does give us full authority to write prescriptions for medications when appropriate, our true passion is in herbal medicine, physical medicine and homeopathic remedies underpinned with a deep understanding of classical Chinese Medicine. This dual status as both a physician and an Acupuncturist trained in Chinese medicine gives our staff a unique perspective among our peers. In order to provide the best quality care and allow for extensive one-on-one time with our patients, we do operate a cash-based practice (we accept cash, credit and HSA).
Naturopathic Medicine is a distinct system of primary health care that seeks to restore health and vitality by identifying and correcting the underlying causes of disease. We recognize that the human body has complex and elegant mechanisms designed to maintain and restore health. Illness results when these mechanisms are disturbed or overwhelmed and the body can no longer maintain balance. Our patients in Portland, Oregon appreciate that rather than simply masking symptoms, naturopathic medicine seeks to identify and correct the underlying causes of illness and thus facilitate a return to health.
Therapies commonly used by the dual-licensed Portland Acupuncturists & Naturopathic Doctors at Terrain Wellness include diet and nutritional therapies, herbal medicine, homeopathy, hands on manual therapies, hydrotherapy and health and lifestyle counseling. NDs can write prescriptions for some pharmaceuticals, including bio-identical hormones, but use them sparingly as equal or better results can usually be achieved with natural therapies. Within our Portland, Oregon alternative medical practice we also order lab tests and use imaging studies such as MRI’s when needed and refer to specialists when appropriate.
- Thyroid Treatment
- IV Nutritional Therapy
- Applied Kinesiology
- Cold Laser (Low-Level Laser Therapy)
- Prolotherapy & PRP (Coming in 2020): Knee replacement alternatives, knee cartilage repair without surgery
The Six Principles of Naturopathic Medicine
1. First, Do No Harm – primum no nocere
We use gentle therapies that help restore balance within the body. We believe that stronger therapies such as drugs and surgeries should be reserved for when it is absolutely necessary. We strive to use therapies that reduce harm and side effects.
2. Identify and Treat the Cause – tolle causam
Treating symptoms may serve as temporary relief, but will not bring the body back into balance. As we address and alleviate symptoms, we are always in search of the root cause of an illness.
3. The Healing Power of Nature – vis medicatrix naturae
The body demonstrates a remarkable ability to heal and maintain health. We believe that the doctor’s role is to support and optimize this innate capacity.
4. Treat the Whole Person – in perturbato animo sicut in corpore sanitas esse non potest
We address imbalances in all body systems including emotional and psychological stresses which can impact health as well and affect the body’s ability to heal. We take all potential causes of a patient’s condition into consideration and make appropriate recommendations.
5. Doctor as Teacher – docere
The best thing a doctor can do for their patients is educate them about their health and body. We see the journey to health as a team effort.
6. Prevention – principiis obsta: sero medicina curatur
Naturopathic doctors evaluate the potential risks for imbalance or disease and optimize a patient’s health to prevent future disease.