Epstein Barr Virus Treatment (EBV)
In the course of clinical practice, we have had numerous cases where patients’ thyroid symptoms did not begin to improve until we treated them for Epstein Barr Virus. Specifically, conditions like Hashimoto’s Thyroiditis can frequently be caused by or exacerbated by EBV. For these reasons, Epstein Barr Virus Treatment has been shown to an effective way to help some patients resolve their thyroid conditions.
- Reduce/eliminate stressors on the immune system
- Bolster the immune system with lifestyle and improving digestive health
- Treat EBV infection using supplementation, IV therapy and prescriptions if necessary
- Directly support the thyroid using supplements and prescriptions when necessary
Healing EBV Thyroid conditions
Like most infections, Epstein Barr Virus taxes the resources of the immune system over time. In this way, the immune system’s fight against Epstein Barr becomes a war of attrition where the virus is defeated while not being fully eradicated. These factors set the stage for an autoimmune response where the body begins attacking itself in an effort to be rid of any remaining trace of the infection. In our clinical practice, we find that bolstering the health of the body’s immune system is an important aspect of achieving thyroid recovery by addressing autoimmune conditions. After our doctors review extensive lab test results, we begin treatment by repleting immune-support vitamins and minerals specific to your body chemistry while also recommending specific herbs found to strengthen the immune system. How to fight Epstein Barr Virus naturally may vary considerably from patient to patient based on individual body chemistry so we customize each treatment plan based on the patient’s health history, symptoms and lab reports.
- Glutathione & NAC (N-Acetylcystine):
- Glutathione is the active form of NAC in the body. NAC is a powerful antioxidant known to reduce the inflammation that chronic Epstein Barr Virus infection can cause. Inflammation can continue even after the disease is eliminated from the body or gone dormant. For these reasons, medical research on NAC (N-Acetylcystine) shows that it is effective at treating EBV. While we offer NAC is an oral supplement, for IV therapy, we use the active form Glutathione given as an IV push or a stand-alone fast drip to ensure the highest bio-availability. NAC & its active glutathione form are powerful antioxidants that we give in conjunction with IV therapy at our clinic.
- Vitamin C:
- Clinical trials have shown that high-dose Vitamin C sped up recovery for patients suffering from viral infections (EBV & IV Vitamin C). Be aware that high dose Vitamin C must only be administered under close medical supervision. Researchers have found that patients suffering from EBV and other viral infections are deficient in Vitamin C and suspect that this may be due to oxidative stress related to immune response. Please note that we do not administer IV therapy without initial and follow-up comprehensive lab tests during the course of treatment. This is because certain minerals (like Vitamin C) can cause health complications if too much is given intravenously.
- Lysine is an amino acid that has been studied for its detoxification properties and for treating EBV and Herpes infections. When Lysine is given via IV, it is safer for the kidneys which allows higher doses to be given safely.
IV Therapy For EBV Thyroid Conditions
While there are a number of IV vitamins and supplements that can help the body fight off EBV reactivation, these are a few of the common ones we use at Terrain Wellness.
EBV & Immune Support
When we bolster the immune system using oral supplements or IV therapy, the body builds natural resistance to viruses and/or infections that trigger autoimmune responses. At the same time, we also address the digestive health concerns that contributed to the deficiencies in immune support vitamins and minerals in the first place. Unfortunately, gut health issues cause nutrient deficiencies because the body’s ability to absorb nutrients is reduced, even in patients with a healthy diet. In order to speed up the process of healing, we use IV Therapy as a way to temporarily bypass an unhealthy gut and replete nutrients directly into the body. Many people have long-standing digestive system issue, so will need some sort of IV nutrition infusion or injectable vitamins that can bypass the digestive system and get straight into the body.
When it comes to EBV and thyroid problems there is rarely a single cure, but rather a plethora of modalities that work together to restore proper function. Factors that can support healthy endocrine balance may include nutrition, herbs, acupuncture, physical spinal manipulation, reducing stress responses, natural hormone support, medications and IV nutrition. Our job as physicians is to treat the patient in front of us and develop an individualized care plan for a return to full health. When we see a set of symptoms present in a patient, we don’t just ask what those symptoms are, we look at the deeper reasons why those symptoms developed. Too often, doctors simply review symptoms, make a diagnosis and write a prescription. However, when we focus on the underlying causes for autoimmune thyroid conditions, we can develop a treatment plan that is truly effective and reverse the disease process.
Epstein Barr Virus and Thyroid
During this EBV treatment process, we may still need to support the thyroid and possibly prescribe medication where appropriate as we repair the underlying damage. But, our focus remains on completely dismantling the causal chain of autoimmune thyroid conditions. One antiviral drug in particular (Valtrex), may be effective in eliminating EBV according to the research, but this drug can take years to completely eradicate the disease and it comes with numerous possible side effects like abdominal/stomach pain, dizziness/nausea, and headaches. Severe reactions to Valtrex/Valacyclovir have also been reported: agitation, hallucinations and kidney problems. So, while we can and will prescribe Valtrex in extreme cases, safer, natural remedies are strongly preferred whenever possible.
Autoimmune thyroid conditions generally take years to develop, so effective and lasting treatments are generally not quick-fixes. While we will at times prescribe medications, we do prefer natural remedies when possible because they have fewer side effects and work more gently with the body. Our healthcare team takes the extra time needed with each patient at every step of the way so you get personalized healthcare that works for you and your thyroid.
Yours in health,
Dr. Danielle Lockwood